Welcome to Stonehaven Bison Ranch….where the buffalo roam.
About the Recipe
I made this family favorite originally as a vegetarian side dish, but cooking it in bison broth and adding bison meat makes a fantastic main dish!
4 servings | Active time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups bison broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2, 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz bison soup bone meat
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook until the vegetables soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth, barley, thyme, lemon juice, crushed red pepper and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until barley is done, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in bison meat and heat through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in black-eyed peas.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Boil soup bones in a generous amount of water in a pot, then cut bison meat off bones and use broth and meat in the recipe.