Welcome to Stonehaven Bison Ranch….where the buffalo roam.
About the Recipe
I made this recipe originally with ground turkey a few years ago. When we began raising bison, I switched to ground bison, which has as little cholesterol as turkey and more protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
6 servings | Active time: 30 minutes | Total Time: Up to 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound ground bison (grass-fed)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 avocado, pitted
- ½ cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1, 15-oz can pinto beans, rinsed
- 5 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bison, chili powder and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps, until cooked through, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado, yogurt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl with a fork until smooth.
- Transfer the bison and any juice from the pan to a serving bowl. Layer the salsa, beans and lettuce over the bison mixture. Spread the avocado mixture over the lettuce. Top with cheese, then tomato.
- Scoop into taco shells or burrito wraps and enjoy!
The recipe was originally eight layers with tortilla chips layered between the ground meat and salsa, but we found that we liked it more spooned into taco shells. If you choose to make a taco salad instead of taco mix, crumble 1½ cups tortilla chips and sprinkle over the bison meat in the serving dish before adding the salsa.